Thursday, January 13, 2011

The best of intentions

Just finished up a walk with the furbabies, and during said excursion, after being forced to become a participant in a dog sled across frozen streets, I have come to the conclusion that I really need to get back on the strength-training regimen. I have spent the past two years doing nothing but immense amounts of cardio (running, swimming, spinning) and next to no strength work. Well, lo and behold, I can't even control my 60-lb Calymonster. I could run miles and miles with her, but if she decides to change direction, you best believe that I'm going with her whether I like it or not. Thus, to the gym I will go to work on some of those other muscles that I have neglected during my never-ending love affair with all things cardio.
As women, I think there is a certain challenge in figuring out a balance of exercises. Like I said, I am a cardio junkie (thank God, otherwise I'd be the size of a house!). But, my other muscles have bore the burden of my lack of proportion (somewhat literally). Honestly, I feel that I cannot do without cardio, because if I spent the amount of time that I do running on something like weight-lifting, I'd look like Arnold in no time. Not exactly the look I was going for. The way I see it, cardio keeps us svelte, but can also wither our bodies away to skeletons. Weight-lifting and strength work gives us the tone and definition that we all strive for, but also packs on the bulk if not done correctly. So what is the happy medium? To all you ladies (and gentlemen) out there, how do you incorporate all aspects of fitness into your exercise routines?

No comments:

Post a Comment